The Philadelphia Museum of Art


Yup, these are the "Rocky Steps." 

I've been told that visitors to the museum can frequently be seen mimicking Rocky Balboa's famous run up the front steps. Fun, eh? (See movie clip below)



I think I saw the movie "Rocky" before I ever got to see this museum. And in this case, the museum is soooooo much better than the movie.



The collection here is so large and so impressive that I couldn't pretend to do it justice in this Blog.

The Philadelphia Museum of Art is located in Philadelphia's Fairmount Park. It was established in 1876 and is now among the largest art museums in the United States.


On this particular trip I was looking for the delicious details in the great portraits. Sometimes they take my breath away. Sometimes they leave me in tears.

Here's a suggestion for other artists may just be starting out and want to maximize the learning from their museum visits:

Oftentimes I go to a great museum like this just to look at, for example, frames. I learn a lot when I narrow my field of interest. Other times I've focused on composition, foliage, children's faces, backgrounds, drapery, etc. I learn so much more this way.

When visiting a museum, It is very easy for me (and some artists I know) to get into "visual overload" - when we see too much. I need frequent breaks or I simply cannot absorb it all.

Most serious painters I know (myself included) have been known to stand for hours in front of one painting trying to take it all in.


This is me with my husband Peter walking through the galleries. Thank heavens he loves museums as much as I do!

No comments: