Still Lifes Redux


Other than weep discretely into a paint rag, "what to do" when a painting doesn't sell?

Out of a batch of small still lifes I sent to a gallery, these two paintings didn't sell. I set them aside and took a couple of weeks to figure out what to do.


Red Grapes Still Life
Oil on Linen, 8" x 10"

From long (and sometimes painful) experience, my best advice to others is:
Have a plan - don't pick up your brush until you're clear about what you need to do.

If you cannot figure out how to correct your mistakes - let the painting sit - for however long it takes - until you figure it out.

Sometimes I have painted myself "into a corner" and in frustration set the painting aside. Even a year or so later when I look at it again with a "fresh eye," I'll know exactly what to do to fix it.

I spent all morning making the grapes look more edible and building more light on the fruit and the cloth.


Lemons Still Life
Oil on Linen, 8" x 10"

I had originally painted a bug into the background of these lemons. It was way too realistic (and more than a little creepy) so I spent the afternoon painting over it. (But I did keep the little spider in the lower left).

I also spent some time building more light on the lemons and the cloth.

I think they're improved.

Painting small still life can be a nice break from painting portraits.

No comments: