Evans Encaustic Paints


Encaustics are an ancient medium of pigmented wax and are a nice break from my traditional oil paints. 

It loosens me up every time I paint with it.



I really like the high quality handmade encaustic paint I get from Evans Encaustics in Sonoma California. Their paint has no fillers or binders and contains a heavy pigment load.



These varied and delicious colors need to be mixed with medium because they are so concentrated. 

I am particularly enthusiastic because I can duplicate my Old Master's Oil Paint Earth Palette with these encaustic paint sticks.



Their medium is made of natural refined beeswax and a food-grade damar resin. I like the way it handles and I've become addicted to it.



Order from:

728 First Street West
Sonoma, California 95476
707-996-5840



And contact Hylla Evans (hylla at comcast.net) if you have any questions about her wonderful paint - she hand makes every bit of it.

The Evans Encaustics website has a free newsletter and offers workshops for encaustic painters.


And Joanne Mattera has written my favorite book on the subject of encaustic painting - good enough to get me started using encaustics. It is available at Amazon.

No comments: