AD ASTRA PER ASPERA


Translation from Latin: "To the Stars Through Adversity."

If you could sum up Teddy's life in a nutshell, that motto would do it.

I lived in Massachusetts from 1961 until 1990. Like many of his constituents I knew Senator Ted Kennedy.

He was a man who had no limits to his compassion. And he often spoke from his great big heart.

We could always count on him and his staff to deal with our problems when we had no place else to turn. He really cared about the "little guy" and worked hard for us.



I lost my hero today and I'm crying.

"...the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die."
- Senator Edward Kennedy, 1932-2009

So let's re-commit ourselves to achieving the thing that mattered most to him: Quality, affordable health care for every single American.

And...

...did you know that Ted Kennedy loved to paint?


The times when I've met him, he was always smiling. I'd like to remember him in this happy way with his wife Vicki.


He took up painting in earnest after his Nephew John died.

The oil painting above depicts the Cape Cod home of his parents, Joseph and Rose Kennedy.


For the cover of Cape Cod Life, he painted this picture of himself and and his wife aboard their yacht "Mya."

As a wedding present, Kennedy painted a still life of daffodils in oil.

"We were reading the William Wordsworth poem "Daffodils' and the last two lines are: "And then my heart with pleasure fills, and dances with the daffodils,' and it was so wonderful and romantic and Ted said that he wanted to paint me a picture of daffodils and he did."
- Victoria Reggie Kennedy

I'd love to take a peek at that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this - having just stumbled upon your blog. Will visit again.